Which will happen first?
- Our societies will learn to curb our use of water
- Our technologists will discover/invent a way to purify and transport water effectively to keep up with our rising demand
- We will perfect the art of splicing genes and adapt our species to be able to consume salt water directly
- We will hit the water cap and see our species growth top out and/or start shrinking
- Water will not be the limiting factor because we will have already have experienced extinction or massive population reduction due to some other limited resource and/or foolish action
I would be hard pressed to ever make a bet on humanity curbing consumption.
Run technologists, the clock is ticking.